The Waterloo Fire Department responded along with city workers to the area near the Amoco gas station on South Market Street shortly after 7:30 p.m. Wednesday for a strong smell of gas. It was later determined to be a natural gas leak to a four-inch main on Front Street at the alley behind Amoco.
Traffic was diverted from Route 156 onto Morrison Avenue and South Market Street onto Quernheim Avenue as utility crews worked to repair the leak.
Residents of several homes were evacuated along Morrison Avenue while workers repaired the leak and power was shut off in the immediate area.
No injuries were reported in the incident.