‘Dogs win sectional soccer title

Physical play didn’t hinder the Waterloo soccer team in a 7-0 win over Alton Marquette for the Class 2A sectional title Friday night at Columbia High School. In fact, the ‘Dogs relished the physicality of the game.

The hard play was noticed by Waterloo coach Chad Holden.

Waterloo’s Kane Osterhage, in white, scored three goals in the win. (Greg Stanek photo)

“Yeah, we thought it would,” Holden said. “You’ve got teams playing for their playoff lives. I thought that Alton played hard and did what they needed to do. We were just on all cylinders tonight.”

Kane Osterhage’s paw prints were all over this win. With three goals, he took advantage of the over-aggressive play. The Bulldogs were already leading 1-0 on an Osterhage goal three minutes into the game.

“Anyone steps up,” Osterhage said. “Me and Benny (Huels) have helped lead the team all year. It’s been great.”

Osterhage and Huels are first and second on the team in goals.

Ethan Lewis, in white, battles for a ball against an Alton Marquette defender. Lewis scored in the 7-0 win. (Spencer Michelson photo)

But for the rest of the first half, Marquette proved themselves to be worthy opponents with strong play from their forwards and solid defense.

Then, with only six minutes and 20 seconds left in the half, Marquette goaltender Brandon Sanfilippo overplayed his position. He took out Waterloo’s Philip Most, who was on a breakaway. Sanfilippo was given a yellow card, which would play a factor later, and Waterloo got the penalty kick. Osterhage was called upon and gave the ‘Dogs a 2-0 lead. They took that lead into halftime.

The ‘Dogs came out strong with an overwhelming offensive attack in the second half, completely controlling the game and scoring chances.

Just more than two minutes into the second half, Huels — the hero in Tuesday’s sectional semifinal win — knocked in a rebound for the goal. With 30 minutes left to play, Ethan Lewis scored on a similar chance.

Later in the half, Sanfilippo pulled the same type of play that earned him a yellow card and Waterloo a penalty kick. This time was no different, other than Osterhage was the Bulldog to draw Sanfilippo out of the box. Since it was his second yellow card, Sanfilippo was given a red card and tossed from the game. Osterhage took the kick and earned his third goal of the contest. Waterloo led 5-0 with 22 minutes left.

“Yeah, I was kind of anticipating, he did it earlier,” Osterhage said about the play. “So, I just anticipated it and he got my legs — and a red card.”

Clay Metz and Ryan Stites later scored to extend the Waterloo lead to 7-0 — the final score.

Waterloo’s Philip Most is impeded by Alton Marquette goalkeeper Brandon Sanfilippo. It earned Waterloo their first penalty kick of the game. (Greg Stanek photo)

One thing this Waterloo team doesn’t lack is talent. Whether its a two-goal performance from Huels or a hat trick from Osterhage, the ‘Dogs always seem to have someone who can step up.

“Our defense did an awesome job,” Holden said. “Yeah, we got the shutout but they limited them to hardly any shots. Most of their shots were from midfield when they were trying to kick it down. It was a total team effort.”

Now the Bulldogs travel to Jacksonville on Tuesday for a super sectional game with an opponent to be determined.




Print Friendly, PDF & Email


The Republic-Times has been Monroe County's hometown newspaper since 1890. Serving Columbia, Waterloo, Valmeyer, Hecker and every town in between, we strive to provide the news that matters most to you in the timeliest manner possible. For more information on subscribing to the Republic-Times, call 939-3814 or visit the "Subscribe" page on this website.
HTC web