The Monroe County YMCA was expected to reopen sometime this week following an electrical malfunction that closed the facility Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
The Columbia Fire Department was called to the YMCA, located off Route 3 just south of Columbia, around 5 a.m. Sunday following an unknown problem between an outside transformer and electrical fuse panel inside the building.
A fire official told the Republic-Times there was smoke inside the building upon firefighter arrival, which was ventilated. Ameren was quickly called in to deal with the situation.
Electrical crews worked to replace the transformer supplying power to the facility on Monday. Additional work continued Tuesday.
For updates on when the facility might reopen, visit online at www.ymcaswil.org/monroe-county-htc-center, or call 281-9622.