As expected, a winter storm moved into the area Thursday morning, bringing with it slow and sleet that made many roads nearly impassable throughout the afternoon into late evening. No major traffic accidents have been reported in the area due to the weather. Below is a list of cancellations that will be updated as they come in:
* All area schools — Waterloo, Columbia, Gibault, Valmeyer, Dupo, Red Bud, Millstadt, Prairie du Rocher and New Athens –cancelled classes Thursday and again for Friday.
* Other event cancellations announced Thursday morning included the Columbia Chamber of Commerce’s 101st Annual Meeting that evening at The Falls; Thursday’s Waterloo Chamber of Commerce monthly luncheon at Mystic Oak; and the Columbia School Board regular monthly meeting at Parkview Elementary. Smithton Public Library also announced it was closed for the day Thursday. The Smithton library was also closed for the day Friday.Traffic moves slowly on Route 3 south of Waterloo on Thursday morning, as frozen precipitation blankets the roadway. (Alan Dooley photo)
* The Columbia Chamber Annual Meeting has been rescheduled for next Thursday evening, Feb. 28, as has the Columbia School Board meeting.
* Thursday’s girls high school basketball sectional championship game at Waterloo High School has been rescheduled for 3 p.m. Saturday. The three-point shootout will take place at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
* SPPCS Bingo at Waterloo VFW was cancelled for Thursday night. You can satisfy your weekly Bingo needs at the Wurstmarkt in the SPPCS Gym on Sunday, Feb. 24, starting at 1:30 p.m.
*Due to inclement weather impacting the Midwest, Midland States Bank has closed the following area bank offices on Thursday afternoon: Columbia, Waterloo, Smithton, Freeburg and Hecker.
*All games are on as scheduled Friday night with the exception of the Waterloo girls basketball sectional championship game that has been rescheduled for Saturday at 3:00 p.m. and the three-point shootout, which will take place at 1:30 p.m. prior to the game.