Waterloo, Gibault renew soccer rivalry with 1-1 tie

Gibault and Waterloo faced off in soccer Tuesday night for the first time in seven years. (Kermit Constantine photo)

The rivalry between the Gibault and Waterloo soccer teams produced excitement and thrills year after year in the late 1990s and early 2000s. But until the teams met Tuesday night in the opening round of the CYC Tournament, it had been seven years since the two had faced off on the soccer pitch.

The annual “Cup Game” between the two schools eventually reached a boiling point several years ago, and the rivalry was discontinued.

But Tuesday night’s match lived up to the history.

The Hawks and Bulldogs tied, 1-1, in a tight, nail-biting game. The teams played to a scoreless first half, but the intensity picked up after the break. Seven minutes into the second half, Gibault’s Wes Degener unleashed a laser from almost 40 yards out to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.

Any momentum that Gibault may have received from the goal disappeared just eight minutes later. With several Bulldogs swarming the Gibault goal box, the Hawks were unable to clear the ball. It rolled to Waterloo sophomore Kane Osterhage, who drilled it home to tie the game.

Both teams turned it up a notch in an attempt to win the game. The Hawks and ‘Dogs both had several quality chances in the final 20 minutes, but goalkeepers Austin Gregson and Tyler Chitty each made several game-saving stops, and neither defense gave in.

The teams settled for a tie, each earning one point in the round-robin segment of the CYC Tournament. It was the second point in as many days for Waterloo, who tied Kennedy, 2-2, on Monday. Waterloo plays its final game of group play on Thursday against Clayton. Gibault was playing in its first game of the tournament. The Hawks played Clayton to a 1-1 tie on Wednesday and will play Kennedy on Thursday.

Columbia rolls

Playing in a separate bracket of the CYC Tournament, Columbia got off to a good start, defeating St. Pius, 4-0, on Wednesday. Matthew Roderick opened the scoring with 14:59 left in the first half. Teammate Andrew Dossett dribbled all the way down the field before giving it off to Roderick, who finished for the score. Patrick McDermott made it 2-0 just one minute later, and found the net yet again with seven minutes left in the half, and the Eagles took a 3-0 lead into the break. Dossett would add a goal in the second half to make it a 4-0 final.

Columbia improved to 11-0 on the season with a Wednesday 6-0 thrashing of Bishop Dubourg in the tournament. Goalie Eddie Starr turned in another good game, and Roderick netted three goals in the game.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


The Republic-Times has been Monroe County's hometown newspaper since 1890. Serving Columbia, Waterloo, Valmeyer, Hecker and every town in between, we strive to provide the news that matters most to you in the timeliest manner possible. For more information on subscribing to the Republic-Times, call 939-3814 or visit the "Subscribe" page on this website.
HTC web