Tragedy avoided in smoke alarm call

Quick response from one local police officer resulted in a positive outcome Thursday afternoon in Waterloo.

At about 1:30 p.m., Waterloo Police Department, Waterloo Fire Department and Monroe County EMS personnel responded to the report of a smoke alarm sounding in an apartment at 101 Debra Lane with a subject believed to be inside but not answering the door.

There was a smell of smoke upon the arrival of a WPD officer who was first on scene. Waterloo Deputy Chief of Police Trin Daws said this officer kicked in the door and found a woman unresponsive on a chair with a pot of food burning on the kitchen stove. The officer was able to turn off the stove and place the woman on the floor, successfully performing CPR chest compressions.

Monroe County EMS was able to further treat this female resident, who was then transported by ambulance to an area hospital.

Waterloo firefighters removed the burnt pot from the stove and ventilated smoke from the apartment, clearing the scene shortly before 2 p.m.

“She was very lucky she had a working smoke detector and a neighbor heard it going off,” WFD Capt. Mike Ramsey said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


The Republic-Times has been Monroe County's hometown newspaper since 1890. Serving Columbia, Waterloo, Valmeyer, Hecker and every town in between, we strive to provide the news that matters most to you in the timeliest manner possible. For more information on subscribing to the Republic-Times, call 939-3814 or visit the "Subscribe" page on this website.
HTC web