Fire heavily damages Dupo duplex

Firefighters work to contain a structure fire on Wallace Avenue at Columbia Road in Dupo on Saturday morning. (Corey Saathoff photo)

The occupants of an older duplex in Dupo were displaced following a Saturday morning fire. 

Multiple fire departments responded about 10:20 a.m. Saturday to a residential blaze with heavy smoke on Wallace Avenue at Columbia Road, located just a couple of blocks south of the Dupo fire station.

The Columbia, Cahokia and Prairie du Pont fire departments assisted Dupo at the scene. The fire was mostly contained to one side of the two-unit apartment building and was under control by 11 a.m.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, but occupants of both units of the building were displaced due to extensive damage throughout the duplex.

The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance.

The unit facing Columbia Road belonged to Mikey Kleinik, his girlfriend Kayla Ann, and his 7-year-old son, Mikey. Kayla Ann is expecting a baby boy in days. 

Dupo Fire Chief Kurt Johnson said multiple rooms in their portion of the duplex were completely gutted. 

The other unit of the duplex was occupied by a man who lived alone. He was able to salvage many of his belongings, but is also without a home due to extensive smoke damage.

The fire was caused by a child playing with a cigarette lighter, Johnson said. The duplex was occupied at the time of the fire, but all those inside were able to escape without harm.

“They all have some place to stay for the time being,” Chief Johnson said.

Those wishing to donate toys, baby clothes, or household items to the family can send them to 112 McCullough Avenue, Dupo IL 62239.

A GoFundMe page has also been set up. To donate, go to:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Corey Saathoff

Corey is the editor of the Republic-Times. He has worked at the newspaper since 2004, and currently resides in Columbia. He is also the principal singer-songwriter and plays guitar in St. Louis area country-rock band The Trophy Mules.
HTC web