Hawks slip past Bulldogs in the rain

Waterloo’s Jake Elsing and Gibault’s Adam Stearns battle for the ball Monday night. (Corey Saathoff photo)

Last season, rivals Gibault and Waterloo met on the soccer pitch for the regional title with the Hawks prevailing in a drizzly 1-0 overtime thriller.

Gibault went on to play in the Class 2A state tournament, falling in the title game. 

It was much of the same Monday night at Oerter Park in Columbia – including the rain.

Following a scoreless first half, Gibault sophomore Tate Schilling downed his former team with a second half goal during a heavy rainstorm.

Schilling, who transferred to Gibault after playing last year at Waterloo, jumped high to get his head on a free kick from Ryan Swindle for the game-winner.

Waterloo was missing a few key players due to injury. Gibault was without goalie Connor Olson and head coach Darryn Haudrich, who were suspended due to red cards received during last year’s state final loss to Solorio Academy.

Gibault assistant coach Lauren Stepp guided the team in Haudrich’s absence.

Will Janson earned the shutout in goal for the Hawks. Waterloo goalkeeper Sam Ward turned away several shots to keep his team in the game.

It was a hard-fought match between rivals, and a good indicator that both teams will be competitive once again this season.

Waterloo battled Belleville East on Tuesday, falling 2-1, and plays this weekend in the Carbondale tournament.

Gibault had to play another rivalry game Tuesday night, taking on Columbia at CHS in the Metro Cup. The result was not known at press time.

Columbia, which finished 23-1-2 last season and lost in the regional final to Triad, opened its 2018 campaign with a 1-0 victory at home against Springfield in Metro Cup play.

Alex Barton scored the game’s only goal to lead Columbia. Goalkeeper Alec Venhaus made three saves for the shutout. 

On Tuesday, Columbia and Gibault tied 1-1 in the Metro Cup while Waterloo lost to Belleville East, 2-1.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email