Fire damages Waterloo home
Fortunately, no one was inside at the time flames broke out in the upper level of a brick home at 402 Morrison Avenue in Waterloo around 11:10 a.m. Wednesday.
Waterloo Fire Department personnel knocked down the flames in a short amount of time, keeping the fire contained to a daughter’s upstairs bedroom. But the structure did also suffer significant smoke and water damage, Waterloo Fire Chief Mark Yeager said.
Other agencies assisting at the scene included Monroe County EMS and the Waterloo Police Department.
Chief Yeager said the early indication is the cause of the fire was electrical in nature. The house is owned by Bill Roedl, the chief said, adding he believes Roedl’s fiancee and some children live at the residence. A dog was securely tied up near a detached shed in the back yard.
No injuries were reported.
Roedl’s fiancee is Christy Youngman. Her friend, Rachel Giffhorn, posted Wednesday evening on Facebook that the family is in need of clothing, as the kids’ bedrooms were destroyed in the fire. Items of need include girls size 8 tops and bottoms, boys size 10-12 clothing, and girls size 6.
“Please drop by any donations to Garden Place of Waterloo, and we will see to it that they are delivered,” she posted on the Republic-Times Facebook page. “Please help, and keep their family in your prayers!”Fireman Scott Schewe helps knock down the fire. (Corey Saathoff photo)