Fire at Crown Linen in Columbia
The Columbia Fire Department responded Monday evening to a fire at Crown Linen Service, located at 322 E. Industrial Drive off Rueck Road.
Fortunately, a potential disaster was prevented.
Black smoke was showing from the large facility and firefighters reported flames inside the structure. The fire was knocked down within a few minutes, after which heavy ventilation efforts and cleaning took place.
The call went out about 8:25 p.m. Firefighters completely cleared from the scene shortly after 10 p.m.
The Millstadt and Waterloo fire departments provided assistance at the scene. Columbia police and Columbia EMS also responded.
Ameren was also requested to the business.
Crown Linen provides linen services for the restaurant, hospitality, healthcare and sales industries.
Columbia Assistant Fire Chief Jim Broshears said a large bag of laundry caught fire inside the business, possibly due to spontaneous combustion.
“The first crew in got a good knock down on it and the sprinkler system helped,” Broshears said.
Only minimal damage was sustained to the business, Broshears said.
A representative from the business thanked firefighters for their efforts and said the plant will continue to operate as scheduled.
“The fire department did an absolutely phenomenal job,” Crown Linen spokesperson Mary Ann Garcia said Tuesday.