Small fire at Garden Place in Waterloo

175

The Waterloo Fire Department and Waterloo Police Department responded shortly after 9:20 p.m. Wednesday to a small fire at the Garden Place senior living community, 735 Columbia Avenue.

No injuries were reported in the incident, and fire officials praised an in-house sprinkler system for quickly knocking down the blaze.

Waterloo Fire Chief Aaron Shive said the fire was contained to one room of an assisted living apartment and was caused by an electric malfunction on a wall heating unit.

Other than the heating unit itself, there was no other fire damage, Shive said. There was water damage and small smoke damage as a result of the fire.

“The sprinkler system really did its job,” Shive said. “It sprayed so heavy that the fire was knocked down before it could spread anywhere.”

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email