Raging ‘Dogs, Ice Eagles end seasons

Waterloo-Freeburg player Scott Nanney skates with the puck against Edwardsville earlier this season. (Greg Stanek photo)

The Waterloo-Freeburg Raging Bulldogs were hoping to extend their first season as a hockey program just a bit longer.

The team bounced back from a tough game one loss to Edwardsville 1A in the MVCHA playoffs, beating them 2-0 Thursday night to force a winner-take-all game three Tuesday night in Granite City. Unfortunately the ‘Dogs lost, 5-2, ending their season.

The Raging ‘Dogs wasted little time from the opening face-off of game two, scoring 15 seconds into the game on a goal by Adam Gauch assisted by Parker McDonald.

That proved to be the game-winner, as the Waterloo-Freeburg defense shut down the high-powered Edwardsville offense.

The Tigers managed 30 shots, but goalie Payton Hamilton was up to the challenge. He turned them all away to record the 2-0 shutout.

“He was a brick wall in net,” coach Scott Parker said of his goalie.

Travis Bittle scored the game’s other goal.

Edwardsville had a five-on-three power play in the third, but were unable to solve Hamilton or the stingy ‘Dogs defense.

“The boys played their best game of the season. The whole team played great. It all comes down to the final game,” Roberts said. “We have outplayed them in both games so far, just didn’t catch a break in game one. If the boys play the same way Tuesday, we will be advancing to the next round.”

Columbia’s season ends

The Columbia Ice Eagles’ season did not end as they had hoped. After getting off to a slow start, they went on a roll to finish the regular season strong. But that momentum did not carry over into the playoffs.

After losing game one to Collinsville, the Eagles knew they had to win game two to extend their season. But the Kahoks had other plans.

Mitchell Cookson scored for the Eagles in the first period, but they were unable to generate any other offense as Collinsville went to win the game and series, 5-1.

“Collinsville played a very good game, and we just weren’t able to overcome. They played very smart, disciplined hockey for three full periods,” coach Kevin Feager said. “In the second period, they scored three goals in about four minutes, giving them a 5-1 lead. We knew that would be extremely hard for us to come back from, and they continued their pressure in the third period, outshooting us 10-6.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email