Friday night fire destroys clubhouse in rural Waterloo

Pictured are the smoldering remains of the Sugar Loaf Sportsmen’s Conservation Club clubhouse on Saturday morning following a Friday night fire. (Corey Saathoff photo)

Just a smoldering pile of rubble remains of the Sugar Loaf Sportsmen’s Conservation Club clubhouse following a fire that erupted Friday night.

Firefighters from Waterloo and Columbia responded to the burning clubhouse, located at 3125 Keim Road near Gilmore Lake Road northeast of Waterloo, shortly after 11 p.m. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department assisted at the scene.

Those responding to the blaze could see flames shooting in the air from several miles away.

The clubhouse was not occupied at the time of the fire. A male caretaker who lives in a trailer about 100 feet from the clubhouse escaped harm, and firemen were able to keep the flames from spreading to the trailer.

Officials handling the incident were told that the old clubhouse structure had recently been experiencing electrical issues. It was believed the clubhouse had been used by members earlier in the day.

There is no word on a cause of the fire at this time.

The club was established in 1952, according to a sign on the property.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email