Fire scare at Washy’s Saloon - Republic-Times | News

Fire scare at Washy’s Saloon

By on April 9, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Pictured, first responders survey the damage to the wrapping around a refrigeration unit at Washy’s Saloon in Waterloo early Tuesday evening.

The Waterloo Fire Department, Waterloo Police Department and Monroe County EMS responded at about 5:55 p.m. Tuesday to Washy’s Saloon at 1324 Jamie Lane for calls of a fire that appeared to be coming from the kitchen and moving toward the roof.

That was not the case, as a trash can simply caught fire beside the building, melting a wrapping around an outdoor refrigeration unit.

“I guess the flames were pretty high so it might have looked like it was coming out of the roof,” Waterloo Fire Chief Aaron Shive said.

Shive said the fire was most likely started by a cigarette that was put in the trash can.

The fire was already extinguished when the fire department arrived at the scene.

Republic-Times

The Republic-Times has been Monroe County's hometown newspaper for 126 years. Serving Columbia, Waterloo, Valmeyer, Hecker and every town in between, we strive to provide the news that matters most to you in the timeliest manner possible. For more information on subscribing to the Republic-Times, call 939-3814 or visit the "Subscribe" page on this website.