Small fire at old Waterloo fire station - Republic-Times | News

Small fire at old Waterloo fire station

By on November 27, 2017 at 8:52 pm


Waterloo firefighters were called to a fire inside the old Waterloo Fire Department station on North Main Street about 7 p.m. Monday.

The station is currently housing a House of Neighborly Service book sale, along with Santa’s sleigh from Saturday night’s GLOW in the Dark holiday parade. The fire appeared to be confined to a desk, which was quickly extinguished and removed from the building.

Waterloo Fire Chief Brett Wiegand said volunteers apparently left a candle burning inside and a passerby saw the flames in the front room of the old firehouse.

“We responded and put the fire out with a water extinguisher since it was caught early,” Wiegand said. “We had a quick response time since we were only a few blocks away doing driver training on our drill night.”

Fire damage was limited to the desk and contents on top, along with smoke filling the office area.

“Just a reminder to everyone to never leave a candle burning unattended,” Wiegand said.

A cursory inspection of the sleigh revealed no damage that should impede the execution of Santa’s important duties next month.


Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Andrea F.D. Saathoff

Andrea is a graduate of Gibault High School and the University of Missouri School of Journalism, the University of Missouri Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville College of Education. She lives in Columbia with her husband and their twin toddler sons. When she isn’t cheering on St. Louis Cardinals baseball or riding the emotional roller coaster of Mizzou Tigers football, she enjoys attending and participating in the many family events the county has to offer.
email: andrea@republictimes.net