Apartment fire in Dupo - Republic-Times | News

Apartment fire in Dupo

By on July 30, 2015 at 8:28 pm

One person was transported to the hospital as a precaution for possible smoke inhalation following a Thursday night apartment fire in Dupo.

The Dupo Fire Department received assistance from the Columbia, Prairie du Pont, Cahokia, Camp Jackson and Sauget fire departments in responding to the blaze.

Flames were showing through the back door of an apartment in the 200 block of North Ninth Street near the intersection of Godin Avenue in Dupo about 7:30 p.m., Dupo Fire Chief Kurt Johnson said.

The fire was contained to one apartment of the six-unit complex, Johnson said. One male adult and two children were inside the apartment when the fire occurred, he said, and were able to escape. The man was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

The apartment was a total loss, Johnson said, and the Red Cross has been called in to provide assistance to that family. None of the other apartment units in the complex were affected.

Fire officials are still looking into the cause of the blaze, although they believe it may have started in the kitchen area.

Firefighters cleared the scene at about 10 p.m.

 


Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Andrea F.D. Saathoff

Andrea is a graduate of Gibault High School and the University of Missouri School of Journalism, the University of Missouri Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville College of Education. She lives in Columbia with her husband and their twin toddler sons. When she isn’t cheering on St. Louis Cardinals baseball or riding the emotional roller coaster of Mizzou Tigers football, she enjoys attending and participating in the many family events the county has to offer.
email: andrea@republictimes.net